Assistant Teacher - Portuguese Bilingual Immersion Program
Portuguese / English: K - 5 Two-Way Bilingual Immersion
Olá is a two-way Portuguese–English bilingual immersion program within King Open. Parents must designate Olá as a choice when they register their children for school. Olá is a semi-autonomous program, and students from Olá and those in the regular King Open program have separate academic classes. Both programs, however, follow the same basic curriculum, and teachers from both programs meet together by grade-level.
Olá students alternate between Portuguese and English, with the goals that students become bilingual and bi-literate and celebrate the multiculturalism reflective of the Portuguese-speaking countries and communities represented in the program. Olá is a vital part of the King Open school community.
The program is designed to:
- teach the Portuguese language and culture from the Portuguese-speaking world from grades K - 8.
- Integrate instruction in all academic subjects with Portuguese and English language development so that all students become bilingual and biliterate.
- develop children's creativity and critical thinking
- provide students with a diverse ethnic environment that develops cross-cultural understanding and friendships.
Why Become Bilingual?
In today's job market, bilingualism and biliteracy are valuable professional assets
Why Learn Portuguese?
Because Portuguese is:
- the 6th-most-spoken language in the world
- one of the languages most used in international business and international organizations today
- a big advantage in the Massachusetts workplace where there is a large population of Portuguese speakers
- Students who choose Ola are taught the King Open curriculum in Portuguese and English, developing academic skills in both languages, and following state and local frameworks and benchmarks.
- The heritage, language, and culture of the Portuguese-speaking world are explored academically through theater, songs, dance, and literature.
- Hands-on projects integrated into the curriculum of each grade level.
- Field trips that connect students to the rich local Portuguese-speaking community.
Aceda a informação sobre o OLÁ Bilingual Program, em linha, em: https://bit.ly/2GrU6qn